When recruiting, companies have come up with all kinds of hiring perks. One that’s fairly inexpensive and pays high dividends is mentorship. A study by Deloitte suggested that millennials - soon to be the majority in the workforce - are more likely to stay significantly longer with an employer if provided mentors.
For almost every single job I’ve interviewed for, I’ve asked about their professional development opportunities. It was very important for me that I could see myself growing and moving up at a company.
Mentorship can help with career development in many ways. It’s worth it to come up with an effective system of mentorship within your company, if you don’t have one already. During your next hiring interview, make sure to bring up these points to sell your mentorship opportunities as a standout recruitment perk.
1. Mentors help you navigate the company more effectively and efficiently through the sharing of veteran knowledge and wisdom.
2. Mentors help you navigate your career, and can even keep an eye out for opportunities within your company.
3. Mentors can help you find good sponsors.
4. They can give special support to women and minorities, who often have additional challenges when adjusting to a new role and work environment.
5. They can help you expand your network inside and outside of the company.
6. They can serve as a sounding board and support system.
8. Highlight any unique parts of your mentorship system
● Tools used to increase the efficacy of mentorship pairings
● Fun mentee-mentorship events, awards, etc.
Please share this post with your networks using #nextplaymentoring. You can email us at Charu@nextplay.ai if any of this resonated with you - and especially if you have a mentorship success story to share!